BECOME AN UPLIFT INSTRUCTOR
UPLIFT instructors are changing lives and making a positive impact around the globe. We provide an effective workout using iconic music that leaves students feeling empowered. More importantly certified instructors build uplifting and inclusive communities that make students feel supported and safe to be 100% authentically themselves.
We want you!
The demand for UPLIFT instructor training is on fire and we can’t wait to have you join us. We are currently booking trainings several months in advance. Add your name to an upcoming roster today!
WE SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
Whether you take a live or online training, we promise the experience is inclusive and you’ll finish inspired to start your very own UPLIFT community. Live and online trainings include content on:
Brand and Company Culture
Structure of the Playlist
Cueing and Safety
Connection and Engagement
Business Model+ Marketing
Instructor Resources & Support
Learn more about what to expect in an online training or live, in-person training below.
- Sign up for a training that works in your schedule. Online trainings are offered nearly every month!
- Training starts on the first Monday of the month. Online trainings last 3 weeks, and you receive an email at the start of each week with weekly training content that can be done on your own time.
- Each training group has its own private Facebook group for trainees to connect, introduce themselves and carry out weekly assignments.
- Each week participants are encouraged to attend a call with their mentor and fellow trainees via Zoom to connect and ask questions. This is optional, and each call is recorded so you can watch it at your convenience if you’re unable to attend live.
- Once training is complete you’re asked to submit a video of you teaching the warm up and 3 additional pre-determined routines covering band, back, and core work, as well as a sequence of fundamental moves for evaluation. The total length of your evaluation video will be about 20 minutes. Don’t stress! We prepare you for this and it’s hands down one of the most impactful parts of the training. We’ve had multiple seasoned instructors say the detailed evaluation form they received back was priceless.
- You’ll receive a feedback form for your evaluation video within two weeks.
- If you receive a 75% or higher on your evaluation video, you’ll be given a link to sign up to become a licensed UPLIFT instructor. An instructor membership is $24.99/month, and this monthly fee covers all costs and benefits listed above.
- If you score below 75%, you’re invited to resubmit a new video. The evaluation form has detailed notes and suggestions to help you level up your skills so we ask that you spend at least 30 days making these improvements before you resubmit. Just to reassure you, it’s not often that we ask individuals to resubmit. However, those that did have always appreciated the extra time and guidance so that they were better prepared before teaching to the public, and several have turned out to be some of our most qualified instructors.
WHY ONLINE TRAINING IS THE BOMB!
Meet people from around the globe during this interactive online certification process. Despite the fact this training is remote, you’ll feel supported and motivated to participate along with your fellow trainees. This training is about 15 hours worth of content divided over a 3-week period so you can go at your own pace.
UPLIFT INSTRUCTOR TESTIMONIALS
“I did my first UPLIFT class today and loved it. Was it hard and intense? Yes, but with the awesome music and inspiring teachers, I was physically and emotionally uplifted. It’s not just about the squat or the weight. This class reminded me I can do hard things and push through and persevere. Now, time to upgrade my set of weights!”
– Miryam –
ONLINE MEMBER, FLORIDA
“The online instructor training is so fantastic and well done. I highly recommend it to anyone that’s considering becoming an instructor. The modules are so organized and informative, and I love that I was able to go at my own pace and still have access to all the information post-training. My mentor was phenomenal and obviously knows her stuff. She did such a beautiful job of describing concepts and answering questions. I felt really supported and like I had all of the tools needed to pass my evaluation and become an instructor. Even if you just need continuing education credits, every group fitness instructor should take this training!”
– Cassie –
SHiNE Dance Fitness is turning 9, and we're celebrating with a worldwide SHiNE Nation Celebration.
Join us in Ottawa, Ontario (CA) on Thursday, 2/29/24 @ 7:00 PM EST. Treat yourself to a night out with your SHiNE friends. SHiNE @ Soloway JCC 7:00 PM, then meet @ Clocktower Brew Pub Westboro 8:15 PM (418 Richmond Road Ottawa Ontario Canada K2A 0G2)!
Welcome to Camp SHiNE! The 2024 SHiNEcation event is not just a vacation, it is an EXPERIENCE that you will not ever be able to duplicate. Camp SHiNE is your opportunity to bring back your sense of childhood before life became cluttered with schedules, deadlines, and worries. Through new experiences, new friendships, and of course lots of SHiNE, let us help you to remember and recreate those childhood feelings. You’ll have opportunities to try all of the traditional camp activities from hiking to crafts as well as those not-so-usual activities like roller skating and dancing. Reserve your spot today and we will save you a seat around the campfire.
BRING UPLIFT TO YOUR LOCATION
Offer UPLIFT at your facility! Adding UPLIFT to the group fitness calendar at your gym or studio is the perfect compliment to cardio classes on your schedule. Diversify your class offerings to meet the unique needs of your students and offer options for a well-balanced workout routine. Contact us today to learn more.
Get the gear!
UPLIFT INSTRUCTOR FAQ
Nope! The UPLIFT instructor training and certification process is separate from SHiNE Dance Fitness. You can certify in one OR both programs independently.
The early-bird price (offered up to one month prior to the start of training) is $249. The standard introductory price for UPLIFT instructor training is $299.
Once certified, UPLIFT instructors pay $24.99/month OR $255/year for licensing. If you’re certified in SHiNE Dance Fitness AND UPLIFT, your second licensing fee is 50% OFF!
Current SHiNE Dance Fitness instructors get a 50% discount off the UPLIFT licensing fee (Just $12.50/month or $127.50/yr)! This means you can teach TWO amazing formats for just $37.50/month or $382.50/yr!
SO MUCH! Your monthly instructor membership includes:
- Access to the growing database of UPLIFT routines
- New choreography released quarterly (minimum of 12 new routines)
- Video tutorials for each routine with a run through facing the mirror AND the students
- Detailed breakdown of each move included in each routine tutorial
- Detailed choreography notes for each routine
- Access to an active, supportive instructor Facebook group once certified
- Opportunity to connect every month and learn from instructors around the world via Zoom
- Invitation to attend the bi-annual, highly anticipated SHiNE Instructor Summit for continuing education, connection, and so much fun.
MARKETING AND PROMOTION
- New graphics, flyers, signage and additional marketing resources released quarterly
- A dedicated profile for each instructor on the official Location Finder page.
- 15% OFF high-quality SHiNE Dance Fitness merchandise found in the SHiNE Shop
AND full access to ALL the features available in a PLUS online membership including:
- Access to 100’s of archived classes
- 2 new SHiNE Dance Fitness classes each week
- 1 new UPLIFT or SHiNE LIGHT class each week
- Members-only access to express, live, and specialty classes
- Playlist Builder feature allowing you to create and save playlists based on your workout goals, mood, and musical tastes
Nope! There are no prerequisites for UPLIFT basic training; we provide everything you need to get started!
Depending on where you plan to teach once certified, your employer may require you to hold a national certification from an organization like ACE, AFAA or NASM in order to teach at their facility.
UPLIFT instructor training is roughly 15 hours worth of content and is similar in structure to the training for SHiNE Dance Fitness – an interactive, virtual experience lasting about 3 weeks.
Yes! You’ll want a pair of light, medium and heavy dumbbells (between 1-15 lbs) and at least 1 resistance band. UPLIFT equipment can be purchased in the SHiNE Shop (when stock is available). You can also find acceptable equipment in most local or online stores selling group fitness items.
While most trainings take place online, we occasionally offer live trainings in select markets. For an up-to-date listing of available trainings, please check the SHiNE Shop.
It’s essential that UPLIFT instructors have the endurance to complete an entire 1-hour UPLIFT class from beginning to end without extra breaks and be able to model correct form for all fundamental moves.
Example: When doing a push up, we ask that instructors can model correct form for at least one full push up, but if they need to modify the remaining reps in a modified position that’s okay.
While training lasts about 3 weeks, it’s self-paced and you have 60 days from the start of your training to submit your final evaluation video. Extensions can be offered on an as-needed basis. Simply communicate with your mentor and/or email [email protected] to make an extension request. Below is an example of what your training period might look like:
- At the start of training, you’re invited to join a private Facebook group where you can interact with fellow trainees and your mentor. If you don’t use Facebook, you can work with your mentor via email.
- Every Monday for 3 weeks you’ll receive a series of video modules that can be watched at any time during your training. (They do NOT have to be viewed during the week they are received.) A digital workbook is also provided so you can follow along and take notes as you go.
- You’ll have a simple assignment each week to enhance your training experience. For example, the week 1 assignment is to introduce yourself on the Facebook group or to your mentor and to take an online class. The length of time needed to complete these assignments varies between participants, but the more you put into them the more you will get out of the experience!
- Weekly Zoom calls with your mentor can be attended live (recommended) or the recordings can be listened to later. Calls are no longer than 1 hour.
At the end of the course, you’ll record pre-selected routines and several fundamental moves and submit your video for evaluation. The process is incredibly supportive, and if you need help with some of the moves, you can record short video clips to share with your mentor for guidance.
Instead of submitting a full, 1-hour class for evaluation, we ask trainees to record themselves doing 4 routines (warm up, a band routine, back and core) and a list of fundamental moves. This video can be submitted as early as week 3 after the trainee has completed all training content. Trainees have up to 60 days after completing the training to submit their video and will receive feedback within 2 weeks of submitting.
It would certainly be easier (for you and for us!) if we didn’t require an evaluation, but we’ve heard time and time again from past trainees that the most value came from this part of the process and it helped them grow as instructors. If you get a score of 74% or lower, we ask you to resubmit after waiting at least 30 days. This extra time and effort helps prepare you to provide a safe, high-quality class for your students. A $50 resubmission fee is required to help cover the cost of the mentor and evaluator who assist you in completing this process.
Prior to 2020, instructors were only allowed to teach live classes. With Covid-19 and subsequent shutdowns, the licensing agreement was amended in an effort to better support our instructors and their local communities. We recognize that many facilities are continuing to offer live streaming and hybrid classes (classes that are taught in-person, but also live streamed privately for their members) and we’re committed to helping our instructors thrive so we’ve continued to allow live streaming as long as it meets the criteria outlined in the license agreement. Primary requirements include:
- It is live-streamed and not recorded/saved. It is not available as on-demand content.
- It is not part of the public domain (this means it is not posted on YouTube, Facebook or other public places). It is hosted in a private forum.
- Classes are limited to members of the instructor’s local studio/gym/class.
- Music copyrights are not violated.
It’s important to understand the purpose of allowing live streaming is to help instructors support their in-person, local classes and not to create a remote, online following.
For consistency across the globe and to ensure safety, all choreo must come from the UPLIFT library of approved routines. Offering your own choreography in an UPLIFT class is NOT permitted.